Friday, May 23, 2014

Helium needed a little less talk and a lot more action- What happens to all those articles I wrote?

Helium needed a "Little Less Talk and a Lot more Action"

As one of my once favorite writing sites prepares for final shutdown in December, many members are taking the time to delete their articles in order to free themselves from a site they once held dear. The delete process is slow because each article must be deleted one by one. That’s not a bad thing for people with a couple hundred articles on the site. In fact, most of the people that I have heard from have already completely obliterated their Helium cache of articles.

Unfortunately, I was not one of the smarter writers when it came to Helium. I hung on to the site far longer than I should have and truly believed that things would get better. I, and probably most of the people that I have talked to, probably would have stayed at Helium for an eternity if it had stayed the way it was when it was a start-up company that was fun to write for. Like everything else in life, that wasn’t to be. Everything changes with time and in business, that usually means corporate changes that can destroy the family-like atmosphere.

No worries though. I am not writing this today to mourn the loss of a site I once held dear or to say how sad I am at its demise. Quite the opposite, I am ecstatic over the news because it means a prayer that I have been saying for well over a year has finally come to pass. I thought the site would be here forever, tormenting me with the fact that I had written tons of articles that should never have been written. God is good, and that is all I can say about that.

As I slowly delete these articles, whether good or bad, I have to laugh at how absolutely ridiculous some of the titles are. There are the titles extolling the virtues of Helium as a writing site. Yes, I can see your eyes rolling, but I take no offense. My eyes are rolling as well. Then there were the “What is” articles. Those are really cute because I’m pretty sure everyone knows what the internet is and why they shop online. It is doubtful that anybody could get any use out of such articles. I can only say that I am sorry for writing them.

There were some articles that I found fun and possibly useful. For instance, “Who is the sexiest man in country music” made me smile when I read back through it. Yes, of course I chose Toby Keith. Who else would it be? Though I would make some changes to that article today, including the title, it was written at a time when I was slightly saner and slightly more secretive that I was writing at an online article site. In any case, those articles are now safely tucked away in my personal information and deleted from the site. Thus the reason for this blog today.

After I have completed downloading the few articles that I find somewhat interesting and reflect the reasons why I enjoyed Helium when I first joined, I will load some of those articles on this blog. There was a time of greater innocence in online writing and I preferred it that way. All the “How to” articles and “What is” articles did net me some cash along the way and that is all they are good for now, cash long ago spent. Helium helped me revive my love for writing and then helped deflate my ideals for the craft. If I am going to write, I’d much rather do it for the love of doing it and because I feel passionately about the thing I am writing. I am not sorry for the journey because I learned invaluable lessons from it. I thank God for answering my prayer about getting my articles and name off that site, even if it did mean getting everyone else’s off too. And what I have left are good memories, fun friends and a few meaningful or fun articles. I have published book as well. (Not because Helium published it, but because I met someone on the site who was a publisher). It’s been an interesting ride and now it is time to move ONWARD AND UPWARD.

No comments:

Post a Comment